Final Project

How does music help connect people emotionally?

Music is a very important part of our everyday lives. It can switch your mood immediately when you are feeling down just play a song that cheers you up. If you feel like dancing play a song you love dancing to. If you want to reminisce the past play a song that takes you back. As it states in Supriyo Gosh "Music aids in the release of tension and such a blissful state can only be achieved through the connection of your playlist and your present emotional state. A bridge is created between your emotional predicament and the songs you are listening to. Even the most challenging situations can be successfully overwhelmed by the musical effects."

Music helps us reminisce the good times

The first song I chose is "Right Round" by Flo Rida. It was released in 2009 and the Genre is Hip-Hop/Rap. I chose this song because it reminds me of my late daughter Cateri. It is a happy memory for me. We were rodding upriver this song came on and she and her dad started dancing to it. Her facial expression was the cutest. She was so serious and into the dance following along with the beat and trying to copy the way her dad was dancing. Whenever I am missing her I think of this song or play it and reminisce that day and it just makes me smile. 


Flo-Rida-Images - PHD Media Belgium

Album: R.O.O.T.S.


Music that makes you want to just dance

The second song I chose was "The Git UP" by Blanco Brown. It was released in 2019. The genre is country. As it states in Time "The success of “The Git Up” can be partially attributed to the success of “Old Town Road”—in fact, Brown decided to rush-release his song right after he heard Lil Nas’ anthem. Brown is a multi-instrumentalist, songwriter, producer, and engineer who has been working in Atlanta for years, collaborating with artists like Fergie, Kane Brown, and Pitbull." When I first heard this song play we were at camp working on fish. It automatically made me want to dance. While listening to it in the truck I would start moving while I was driving. It is a fun song and I am sure the kids would enjoy line dancing to it at a dance. The beat is very catchy.


Blanco Brown - The Git Up (Official Music Video)
Album: Honeysuckle & Lighting Bugs


Since I have taken this class I have learned to listen to and enjoy the sound of music.  Before taking this music course I did not like listening to music if I didn't understand what the singer was saying for instance rap. I preferred country music because most of their songs told a story.  This was a very fun and interesting class.

Sources

Ghosh, Supriyo. “How Music Helps in Building Emotional Connection?” Medium, Medium, 7 July 2018, medium.com/@dicaprio.supriyo/how-music-helps-in-building-emotional-connection-588f5b0105f7.

Google search. (n.d.). Retrieved April 21, 2021, from https://www.google.com/search?q=Right%2BRound#wptab=s:H4sIAAAAAAAAAONgVuLRT9c3LDTNMikrMLR8xOjJLfDyxz1hKYdJa05eY7Ti4grOyC93zSvJLKkU0uFig7KUuASkUDRqMEjxcaGI8Oxi0ktJTUsszSmJL0lMsspOttLPLS3OTNYvSk3OL0rJzEuPT84pLS5JLbLKqSzKTC5exCpUlJmeUaJQlF-al6IAEQQAn-icUqIAAAA

Google search. (n.d.). Retrieved April 21, 2021, from https://www.google.com/search?q=Git%2BUp%2Blyrics&safe=strict&ei=iHiAYKeQBtKutQaNtKzQAQ&oq=Git%2BUp%2Blyrics&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAwyAggAMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjICCAAyBggAEAcQHjICCAAyBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgIIADIGCAAQBxAeOgUIABCxAzoICAAQBxAKEB5Q9u8cWPX_HGDKkR1oAHACeACAAaoCiAGGDZIBBTAuNS4zmAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz&ved=0ahUKEwin9Kr5hJDwAhVSV80KHQ0aCxoQ4dUDCA4

Chow, A. (2019, July 27). Blanco Brown on the git Up, Lil NAS X and Country Trap. Retrieved April 21, 2021, from https://time.com/5634271/blanco-brown-the-git-up-interview/

Comments

  1. Hey Arlene!
    Great final blog post! You mentioned listening to older songs can bring back happy memories and I totally agree with you. It's always fun to find an old throwback playing at the supermarket or randomly on the radio and you get rushed with fond memories from simpler times. It can completely turn your mood around. I enjoyed the two songs you picked, I am familiar with 'Right Round' but 'The Git Up' was a new experience for me but it really did make me want to 'git up' and dance! Thanks for the great read!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Trip to Trinidad

Role of the Performer

Music and the Fictive Dream