Music and the Fictive Dream

 The Golden Girls

March 21, 2021

Comments

  1. I have never watched The Golden Girls, but I have heard the theme song, and knew it was a large part of the show. I also enjoyed this song; it has a great message and really shows how thankful the singer is for friends and friendship. To often good friends get overlooked, or taken for granted. The social commentary of this song certainly focuses on friendship and being thankful for friends. This ties in really well with the show, since it was about four good friends. From what I’ve heard, this song and show have impacted a lot of people and friends, like you and your friends. The underlying message of this song was actually really similar to the underlying message in the song that I used for my blog, Friend Like Me. I found an interesting article that explains some of the reasons that The Golden Girls are still so popular to this day. It also goes over a few of the topics that were covered in the show and how those topics also contributed to the show’s success, even decades later, when most of the shows from that time have lost their popularity. Here is the link: https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/movies-tv/why-the-golden-girls-continues-to-resonate-with-us-three-decades-later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arlene, I love the beat in the song, Thank You For Being A Friend, that is being played by percussion. The rhythm is also held by the percussion too. I agree with you that the song embraces strong friendship. The deeper meaning behind this song is like you said, embracing and appreciating a strong friendship which is truly needed in life. Another song you might enjoy is, You're My Best Friend by Queen. Great blog post, I enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Arl,

    Oh man, this is the best. I LOVE The Golden Girls. When I was a kid I would come from school and watch The Golden Girls and eat popcorn every afternoon; and I would sing the theme song every time. It is such a happy, careful tune that automatically makes me feel good – it reminds me of my childhood and the lyrics are just so easy going. I googled the lyrics to the full song and I was surprised to see how long the song really is. I also found that “Thank You for Being a Friend,” wasn’t the initial choice for the show but rather a song by Bette Midler was, “Friends.” However, due to budget issues they had to pass.

    This song really conveys the importance of close friends and having them to lean on when needed; and I think it was the perfect song for the show. They all had such unique friendships and dynamics that made the show so very funny.

    Here(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt5jpeX14I0) is a link to a cover done by an acapella group; the quality of the video isn’t great, but they sound great. I have never heard a cover done of this song. This article here also has many interesting facts about the theme song. https://screenrant.com/golden-girls-theme-song-intro/

    Great job,
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Trip to Trinidad

Role of the Performer