Role of the Performer

 Marc Brown & The Blues Crew

Born into a family of musicians, Marc Brown of Marc Brown & The Blues Crew was raised in Huslia, Alaska. He learned to play the guitar starting at age four and eventually joined his grandfather’s band, gathering a country gospel influence. Marc later studied at Berklee College of Music. Throughout their more than 20-year career, Marc Brown & The Blues Crew opened for several big-name acts including ZZ Top and Jethro Tull. Their 10th album, Indian Rock’n’Roll, won them a 2011 Native American Music Award for Best Blues Recording and a nomination for Group Of The Year. Their latest album, “Still Got the Blues”, stays true to the band’s danceable blues sound. Founded in 1993, the Blues Crew has mostly toiled away as a bar band but began making inroads into Native circles throughout the United States a little over a decade ago when Brown's brother, Harold "Buddy" Brown, served as president of Tanana Chiefs Conference.


This is one of my favorite songs by him "Indian Rock & Roll"

Album: Indian Rock & Roll

Released: 2011

Genre: Rock


Another one that I enjoy listening to "Keep on Smiling"

Written by: Peter Wholecheese

Released: 2006

Genre: Rock

Style: Blues Rock

Both songs start out with the guitar playing later followed by the drums, bass guitar, and saxophone. Both songs make you want to dance. "Keep on Smiling" is a little slower but it makes you want to dance as well.


I chose Marc Brown & the Blues Crew because they are a native group and he has come a long way. Marc is the lead singer and also plays lead guitar. His 10th album, Indian Rock’n’Roll, won them a 2011 Native American Music Award for Best Blues Recording. When I first heard him play was in Fairbanks at the Arctic Bar. His music would have the whole place dancing. He is a great role model for our native people. I believe if our younger generation learned where he came from and how he achieved his dream it would get them moving in the right direction. I worry about the younger ones getting into drugs and alcohol and think they aren't worth it or think they can't do it. We all don't get anything for granted we need to work for it and do our best. 

I am not a fan of Jazz but I will definitely listen to his music any day. My sister and I got my dad into listening to his music as well. He is a great native singer!

Sources

Marc Brown: Athabascan blues music " Indigefi. (2017, June 26). Retrieved March 15, 2021, from https://www.indigefi.org/marc-brown/

Marc Brown.

“Marc Brown & The Blues Crew – Keep On Smiling (2006, CDr).” Discogs, 1 Jan. 1970, www.discogs.com/Marc-Brown-The-Blues-Crew-Keep-On-Smiling/release/1556074.

“Indian Rock'n'Roll (Radio Version) by Marc Brown & the Blues Crew.” Apple Music, 1 Jan. 2011, music.apple.com/us/album/indian-rocknroll-radio-version/447649173?i=447649177.

Comments

  1. I had never heard of this performer before, but I thought his music was pretty good. I agree, it really makes you want to move and has an upbeat feel to it. Having so much of the focus on the guitar was also something that I enjoyed, since the guitar is one of my favorite instruments. I’m usually not that big a fan of jazz either, but I enjoyed his music. Musicians and bands like this are definitely important and serve an important role as a performer. They can be really motivating, like you discussed in your blog, as well as make people happy and want to move to their music. Making music into a career can be really difficult, and it is always amazing to see how far a group or person can go. After reading your post, I was interested in finding some other Alaskan artists. I found a link that showcased some other Alaskan artists and bands, most of which I hadn’t heard of as well. Here is the link in case you’re interested: https://www.ranker.com/list/best-alaska-artists-and-musicians/ranker-music.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arlene!

    First off... I enjoyed reading your blog post! Great job!
    It was really informative and well written :) I have not heard of this performer before today! Thank you for introducing me to someone new and further broadening my musical horizons. I found it really cool that we is from Alaska and has won many awards!
    Have you heard this song by him? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6EYkfA1z7g
    I really like the sound of the song! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arlene, Indian Rock & Roll is one of my favorite songs of his. My significant other introduced this song to me and it is a song we often play on our cruises. In particular, I love his vocals in Indian Rock & Roll. His vocals are soulful. Another song from them that I think the guitars are so fun to listen to is in, Heartbeat Alaska. Great choice for this assignment, and excellent blog post! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Arl,

    I think it is great that you did your assignment on a local band!

    I have seen The Marc Brown Band many times, and I thoroughly enjoy their music; it instantly makes me wanna dance. My parents used to play music in the 90’s and have played with Marc on a few occasions. My parents often talk about local musicians they knew from that time frame, and Marc Brown seems to be one of the few that is still very active in the local music scene from then - I really admire him for sticking with it all these years, and doing so well. We need local bands like The Marc Brown Band, to keep our city lively and upbeat, and to cover great songs from prior generations. What I love most about a cover band is that 9/10 songs are familiar to you and keep the party going. Whereas when you watch a band perform their own songs, you may only know a handful of songs, at best. The experience is still great, just less familiarity.
    This article talks about 10 big names that started out as cover bands – The Rolling Stones, who knew?!?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/38rJrt2ZVRlXCzXCZbBGTlH/ten-huge-bands-who-started-out-as-tribute-or-covers-acts

    I also saw on Facebook that Marc Brown will be performing at the Big I this weekend!

    Nice job,

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Trip to Trinidad

Music and the Fictive Dream