Musical Trip to Trinidad



 

Calypso
 
 The musical trip I decided to take was to Trinidad. I was amazed at how the steel drums sounded and the rhythm just made you want to dance. Overall it made me feel like I was relaxing on a beach during these stressful times everyone is going thru.  I chose calypso for the style of music which is Afro-Caribbean music that originated in Trinidad in the 17th century. It was brought to the Caribbean Island from Africa when they brought in slaves to work on the sugar plantations. The slaves were taken away from their homes and families. They weren't allowed to communicate with each other so they sang to communicate. 
Politicians, journalists, and public figures often debated the content of each song, and many islanders considered these songs the most reliable news source.
The way the slaves communicated on the plantations is awesome and putting it into music. When reading the articles on calypso music that was what caught my eye and wanted to use it for my musical trip. When they first started only the men were the ones that sang only later the women slowly started singing. 
 
As it states in World Music Central: "She points out that Calypso has changed considerably in style over the years and that these days soca, a faster, more dance-orientated variant which places less emphasis on the lyrics, holds sway. “It’s gone from the minor calypso to the four-verse calypso, from the four-line calypso to the eight-line calypso. With the four-verse calypso, you’re getting more rhythm. The structure of the bass has been changed and the drumming has been changed too. It’s vastly different now, and I think that is the reason why the Mighty Sparrow and myself are still on the road working because we do soca, although we also do the old-style calypso.”


 

The song I chose is from the very first woman who in 1978 won the 'Calypso King' crown now known as 'Calypso Monarch' and then won for 5 consecutive years. Calypso Rose also know as McArtha Linda Sandy-Lewis started singing when she was 13 years old. She was the one who opened the doors for female singers because calypso was male preserved for years.


 I THANK THEE
By Calypso Rose

Dear Tobago, the land of my birth
Which foreigners don't know
I pass through Depression and starvation
To be where I am in my profession
So Tobago, I am thankful,
To you, I wouldn't be ungrateful
I say, "Thanks, thanks, thanks."
I thank my mother, my school teacher
My neighbor, my brother, and my sister
So you see, Tobago, I thank thee.
 
 
 
 The second song I chose is by Bunji Garlin-"First Class".

It states in Song BPM "First Class is a positive song by Bunji Garlin with a tempo of105 BPMIt can also be used half-time at53 BPM or double-time at210 BPMThe track runs2 minutes and 38 seconds long with aBkey and a major mode. It has high energy and is very danceable with a time signature of4 beats per bar."

The beat and rhythm for both songs are steady and fast. They both make you want to get up and move. 

As it states in World Music Central: "She points out that Calypso has changed considerably in style over the years and that these days soca, a faster, more dance-orientated variant which places less emphasis on the lyrics, holds sway. “It’s gone from the minor calypso to the four-verse calypso, from the four-line calypso to the eight-line calypso. With the four-verse calypso, you’re getting more rhythm. The structure of the bass has been changed and the drumming has been changed too. It’s vastly different now, and I think that is the reason why the Mighty Sparrow and myself are still on the road working because we do soca, although we also do the old-style calypso.”




Sources

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Calypso_music

Calypso music. (2021, February 28). Retrieved March 05, 2021, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_music

Hillier, T. (2017, August 29). The calypso Queen: World Music central.org. Retrieved March 08, 2021, from http://worldmusiccentral.org/2011/09/02/the-calypso-queen/

"Guanaguanare: The Laughing Gull Blog." Blogarama. Web. 08 Mar. 2021.

BPM and key for first class BY BUNJI Garlin: Tempo for first class. (n.d.). Retrieved March 08, 2021, from https://songbpm.com/@bunji-garlin/first-class

Comments

  1. Hi Arlene! I appreciate that you chose this musical location to learn more about solely because of how good and happy it made you feel! The origin of this music has such a bittersweet story with it being that they chose to sang as their way of communicating with each other since they could not speak to one another. It is interesting to see how the music has changed over the course of the years, as if it were changing as the attitudes and spirits of the musicians change as well. For example, like you had stated, when the slaves were creating the music in the beginning, it was slow and more mellow due to the fact that it was surrounded by unfortunate circumstances. However, now it has begun speeding up and incorporating a faster tempo and more up-beat sounds. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    I am so happy that someone picked the same topic as me!

    The steel drums also make me think of the beach and put me in a good mood. They really have such a distinctive sound – it’s quite impressive. I also think the history behind them is very fascinating; they collected oil drums from US Troops.

    I have no idea that only men could sing in the beginning of Calypso, I am glad you mentioned that. I am also glad you added Calypso Rose as my research didn’t lead me to her! I have been listening to her for about 15 minutes now, and I am really enjoying it. I googled her, and found some interesting facts about her. She was the oldest person, at 78, at perform at Coachella – while also being the first Calypso performer to play a full set there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calypso_Rose

    Great post,

    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Arelene,
    Quite interesting information about about how Trinidad music came to be. Would never have learned that information without reading this musical trip blog! I love the rhythm of the music you shared. It really gives it its own style for sure. Crazy cool to see how the music adapted from its past. By having a faster pace to it to be more dance orientated. Very cool post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Role of the Performer

Music and the Fictive Dream