Continued Exploration

 The Flintstones

March 22, 2021

I chose another television show. This is one of my favorite cartoons The Flintstones. It doesn't get old. My husband and I can watch it over and over. These two friends living together make me wish I can live right next door to my childhood friend. I miss my bestie!!

The Flintstones is an American animated sitcom produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions. The series takes place in a romanticized Stone aged setting and follows the activities of the title family, the Flintstones, and their next-door neighbors, the Rubbles (who are also their best friends) who live in stone houses next door to each other. It was originally broadcast on ABC from September 30, 1960, to April 1, 1966, and was the first animated series to hold a slot on television. The Flintstones was the most financially successful and longest-running network animated television series for three decades, until  The Simpsons which debuted in late 1989, outlasted it. In 2013, TV Guide ranked The Flintstones the second-greatest TV cartoon of all time (after The Simpsons).

The Flintstones' Movie in the Works at Warner Bros. - Variety


As it states in Kuvo "Meet the Flintstones Theme was composed in 1961 by Hoyt Curtin, Joseph Barbera, and William Hanna. While the initial theme song (“Rise and Shine”) was very similar to the theme from Bugs Bunny, this was changed in the third season to “Meet the Flintstones”, having been initially released in 1961 on the children’s record “Songs of the Flintstones”. The melody was also used as incidental music in the first two seasons of the show. The producers said that it may be Hoyt Curtin (Sep 9, 1922 – Dec 3, 2000), composer and producer, who was the primary music director for the Hanna-Barbera animation studio from 1957 – 1965 and again from 1972 – 1986. He first met Hanna and Barbera when they were working on a Schlitz commercial. He composed many of the theme songs and incidental music for the Hanna-Barbera cartoons. He also composed films and other cartoons."

Cartoon of the Month – The Flintstones | Alternate Tutelage

The genre is rock. The intervals for the song are 4/4. When you hear the tune once it can get stuck in your head for a while. Very catchy!

Sources

“The Flintstones.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 20 Mar. 2021, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Flintstones.

“Stories of Standards: Meet the Flintstones Theme.” KUVO, 23 Dec. 2019, www.kuvo.org/stories-of-standards-meet-the-flintstones-theme/.

Hanna, William, et al. “"(Meet) The Flintstones’ from 'The Flintstones' Sheet Music (Easy Piano) in C Major - Download & Print.” Musicnotes.com, www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0017562&cmpid=sem_roirevolution&gclid=CjwKCAjwgOGCBhAlEiwA7FUXkjO_Y4ikj7_CVxgJmgqfOqUJ2fFwOIBRwi5Rf6hWd11q43RD_WXtGxoCZkgQAvD_BwE.

Comments

  1. Hi Arlene!

    I love that you did your blog post on the Flintstones! One of my favorites to watch growing up!
    I enjoy the theme song, it is definitely catchy! Good job on the blog post!
    Did you know that originally the Flintstones were suppose to be the Flagstones? Pretty funny..here's the article I found if you want to read more about it! https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/81462/15-solid-facts-about-flintstones

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Flintstones is one of the cartoons that I only saw a few times, and really enjoyed. A friend of ours let my brothers and me borrow their discs of The Flintstones when we were kids; we watched them non-stop for days! It was a great cartoon, but one that I don’t remember much of, since I was so young. I agree with you, the theme song is certainly catchy, and gets stuck in your head instantly. It also immediately took me back to watching the movie, crowded around a tiny, portable DVD player with my brothers. The theme song served as a great way to introduce the characters of the show, as well as provide some general information about them and where they lived. The lyrics also line up perfectly with the opening scene for each episode, almost explaining what is happening as it does. It sounds very carefree and fun, especially since the song happens so fast, and the lyrics are shouted out in what sounds like a chorus the entire time. I enjoyed this movie and its theme song a lot when I watched it. It was a very entertaining show, with plenty of different things happening in each episode. The song was catchy and has some humorous lyrics as well. I found an article with some interesting facts about the show, such as what different actors played the voices for the characters. Something that I found interesting was that Hanna-Barbera had considered using a hillbilly, Roman, or pilgrim family, rather than the cave family they eventually became. Here is the link in case you are interested: https://www.metv.com/lists/15-yabba-dabba-true-facts-about-the-flintstones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Arlene!

    I loved your blog because it reminds me of my childhood days! In this week's blog, I too embraced my inner child, so I love that I am not alone! The Flintstone's was a family favorite because my Dad enjoyed it just about as much as us kids. Whenever I hear this theme song, I can't help but sing along and imagine my Dad running into the living room, full speed, swinging his hips like a mad man! I had no idea that the Flintstone's had a different theme song other than the one everyone remembers them for, so thank you for that fun fact and a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flintstones was one of my first favorite cartoons I could nonstop watch when I was a kid. I never knew they changed the theme song. So, that is a very interesting fact I will never forget! I remember when I was growing up I would always see the song after. To the point where my mom would get annoyed with me. Glad to have those memories come back when it has been so long.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Musical Trip to Trinidad

Role of the Performer

Music and the Fictive Dream